It also makes a good stock to freeze and use for steaks and so on. And good good leftovers (see below)
5 minutes. Serves 6-12. [MAFC I 309]
3-4 lb beef roast, such as boneless chuck
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup red wine
1 packet dry onion soup mix
- Spray crock-pot with cooking spray.
- Place roast on bottom and sprinkle with soup mix.
- Pour balsamic vinegar and wine over roast.
- OPTIONAL: parsnips, turnips, and/or carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Strain the sauce through a seive into a saucepan
- Mix 4 tablespoons Wondra with two tablespoons brandy and two tablespoons port.
- Stir it into the sauce and stir over high heat until thickened and smooth. Strain into a sauce boat
- Turn the roast (and vegetables) out onto a serving plate, and pour some of the sauce over it. Garnish with parsley.
- Take the leftover beef, add some leftover vegetables, and some Dijon mustard or mayonnaise. Heat or not.
- Enjoy in a sunny corner.