I like this best with mushrooms, but it works very well with all kinds of vegetables. My favorite thing is to take this on a picnic.
1 cup vegetable stock, best quality, low salt
8 ounces small mushrooms or larger ones cut in half
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 coriander seeds
pinch of fennel seeds (1/8 teaspoon)
two branches of celery leaves, chopped roughly
pinch of thyme (1/8 teaspoon)
salt and pepper to taste
- In a covered saucepan over high heat, bring the stock to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms and cover.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, recovering the pan and shaking it occasionally.
- After eight minutes, remove the mushrooms, using a slotted spoon or skimmer.
- Allow the stock to continue boiling for a minute. Then pour it over the mushrooms and refrigerate for six hours or overnight, covered.