This is really a stew, so it's good to serve it in a big shallow bowl or deep plate. Have a soup spoon there, and good bread to soak up the soup. Toasted is nice. This you can have simmering away in 10 minutes.
2 ounces lardons OR salt pork in 1/2 inch cubes, OR pancetta OR bacon in 1-inch pieces
1 cup sliced onions (or 1/4 cup sliced onions and 12 small boiling onions, peeled and added later)
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup red wine, preferably Burgundy or Pinot Noir
1 cup clam juice (or fish stock)
1 allspice berry (or one clove)
1 clove garlic, mashed
salt (none if you use fish stock)
8 ounces mushrooms, cut in half or quartered
[optional: 2/3 cup frozen boiling onions]
1 and 1/4 pounds catfish OR scallops, or other fish such as walleye, halibut, haddock, etc.
- In a fait-tout over high heat, cook the pork (no need to wait for the pan to heat).
- Slice thinly and add the onions. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the flour and stir until it is browned, about 2 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the fish and bring to a boil, stirring the bottom to incorporate the browned flour.
- Add the fish pieces, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the fish is done, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with chopped parsley, along with bread or potatoes or pasta