The secret to 10 minutes is buying a 10-ounce package of grated carrots and throwing it unopened into the microwave.
This soup is even better the next day.
10-ounce package of grated carrots
1 quart vegetable or chicken stock in a microwave-safe container.
1/2 onion (pre-sliced or diced if possible)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt (a pinch--1/8 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
1/8 Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
[optional: 2 teaspoons minced garlic]
[optional: 2 teaspoons grated freshly peeled ginger root]
1/4 to 1/2 cup creme fraiche (or sour cream, even no-fat)
- Put the carrots unopened into the microwave and cook on high for 5 minutes. (If the bag pops or breaks, no problem.) Put the stock in the microwave to heat also
- Heat a fait-tout on high. Chop the onion finely. Add the oil, butter, and onion to the pan and cook on medium high until the onions are softened, stirring often. [add the optional garlic and ginger]
- Add the curry, salt, and Cajun seasoning after about three minutes. Juice the orange.
- When the carrots are done, open the bag carefully (use scissors or a knife) and add the carrots to the pot, along with the stock, creme fraiche and orange juice.
- Puree the soup finely with a blender wand or in a blender (in batches).
- Serve garnished with a minced (chiffonade) parsley OR chives OR scallion tops.