Thursday, July 5, 2018

Lamb chops oak grilled, pattypan squash "steaks", purslane salad

Welcome back to my blog. I read Provence 1970, about Julia's transformation, and have joyously followed Julia into France autre mer. Or wherever. The food is good.

I got a "fire pit" and fired it up tonight for the first time. The oak smoke from the wood my guy cut for me just permeated the squash "steaks" and the lamb chops from the Meat Lab. Added purslane salad from Remy at the North Grand Farmer's Market. I was in fire heaven.


I found a perfect kindling--rolling five sheets of newspaper into a tight rope and tying them in a knot. With a little fire starter and the newspaper kindling under a 2 x 2 square of split oak, it was perfect. No tending necessary.

It took only 45 minutes from lighting to grilling. And 10 or 12 minutes more to get the squash and lamb to table. I used my Tuscan grill. And plain tongs from the kitchen. My clothes are a little smoky. So much the better.

Here are the recipes, if you nee them.

Lamb chops
Choose 1 inch rib chops. Season with salt and piment d'Espelette. Rub with garlic if you choose. Place on the coals for 5-7 minutes a side, turning as necessary until they are done to the face touch

Pattypan squash
Slice into 3/4 inch "steaks," rub with olive oil, salt, piment d'Espelette. Place on the coals for 5-7 minutes a side, turning as necessary until they are marked by the grill and done to your taste.

Rosemary butter
Chop some rosemary and mix it into 1/2 cup melted butter. Chill in a mold that you bought in Paris (or Amazon.com). Place a pat on each of the chops and the squash "steaks."


Purslane salad
Pull the leaves (and tender stems) from enough purslane to yield about 3/4 cup per person. Toss with vinaigrette.

No comments: